Job Title: Parents as Teachers (PAT) Parent Educator
Reports to: Lead Parent Educator
Position Level: Program Coordinator, Full time, Non-Exempt
Start Date: February 1, 2022 or as soon as possible
Salary: $35,700-$39,035 per year depending on experience and education.
To provide personal instruction, demonstrate appropriate educational activities; and deliver research-based printed materials to parents regarding child development and related issues. To conduct child developmental screenings including but not limited to vision, hearing, the understanding and use of language, motor development, hand-eye coordination, health, and physical development for children birth to age three.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide professional parent instruction and delivery of information to participating families implementing the curriculum provided by the National Parents as Teachers Center
- Coordinate services with other community programs with similar purposes
- Support and enhance the existing Parents as Teachers program
- Represent the Early Childhood Council at various community events supporting families and/or young children
- Support the value of education.
- Support the philosophy and mission of ECC SLV.
- Support the philosophy and mission of Parents as Teachers
- Comply with all ECC SLV policies, rules, and regulations
- Requires the ability to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods
- Occasionally requires the ability to stoop, bend, lift and reach
- Requires the ability to travel
- Must be able to work in noisy and crowded environments
- Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job
- Implement the curriculum provided by the National Parents as Teachers Center
- Serve up to 20 families (full-time) including:
- A minimum of 24 home visits per year per family
- A minimum of 12 group connections per year
- Coordinate services with other community programs with similar purposes, make recommendations for further screenings, evaluations, etc.
- Complete and submit all required program evaluation and financial reports requested by program coordinator
- Complete all required documentation regarding home visits, attendance records, screening summaries, and other reports requested by program coordinator
- Assist in reviewing and evaluating results of annual parent surveys and other evaluative measures
- Actively recruit volunteer families to participate in the program
- Attend required certification training and become certified as a parent educator
- Attend required follow-up in-service training
- Adhere to all ECC SLV health and safety policies.
- Other duties as assigned by Parents as Teachers Team Lead or ECC SLV Associate Director, which are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications of this position
Preferred Qualification Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood, Social Work, Psychology, or closely related area. Substitution: A combination of education and related experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis
- Experience in teaching, coaching or mentoring adults / early childhood care & education
- Use of software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point) and virtual communication tools (Email, Google Docs, Zoom, GoToMeeting, etc.)
- Colorado Coaching Credential, Colorado Training Credential, EC Professional Credential (have/willing to obtain)
In addition, the following are essential qualifications:
- Ability to interact with diverse populations
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
- Ability to interact with diverse populations and economically disadvantaged communities
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines
- Assumes other tasks and projects as assigned
- Maintains confidentiality
- Professional Behavior is appropriate at ECC SLV functions and with clients
- Exhibits professional dress and demeanor at ECC SLV functions and with clients
- Maintains overall good work attitude toward supervisor, co-workers and clients
- Exhibits honesty in dealings with supervisor, co-workers and clients
- Must be willing and able to attend family or program activities in the evening and/or on weekends
- Must be willing and able to attend meetings and trainings as required, which can be located within the San Luis Valley, the state of Colorado, and out of state
- Follows the policies of Early Childhood Council of the San Luis Valley
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.